This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Reading time: 1 minute
A dog factory? Does that really exist? How could that be possible?
A dog factory is also known as a puppy mill or a puppy farm. As the names suggest, the focus is on producing as many dogs as possible.
QUICK RECOMMENDATION - If you’re getting ready to bring home a puppy then we highly recommend the Snuggle Puppy Toy w/ Heartbeat and Heat Pack. It’s one of our favorite puppy products and it will help your puppy get used to his new home. Our most recent puppy, Charlie loves his Snuggle Puppy!
A dog factory or a puppy mill is a dog breeder who has one main objective: selling dogs for profit.
- They do not care about the health or well-being of the dogs or the breed in general
- They are trying to get their parent dogs to reproduce puppies as quickly as possible
- The conditions in which they are breeding the dogs are usually very poor
- The socialization period required when a dog is a puppy is usually neglected and sometimes completely skipped
As you can see, they take short-cuts that can be detrimental to the dog and it’s health in the long run. Since they are trying to reproduce dogs as quickly as possible and sell them for a profit, they really do not care about what happens to the dogs in the long-run.
Here are some things to watch out for:
- They have numerous dog breeds for sale as they are only breeding for profit and are not interested in the well-being of any of the breeds
- They will not let you see the parents of the puppy
- They may want to meet up in a public place instead of allowing you to visit their kennel and seeing where as well as the conditions in which the parents and puppies live
- No paperwork is available or provided
- No vaccinations have been completed
Be aware and educated about responsible breeding practices. Here are some tips on how to identify a responsible dog breeder.
Share this to help raise healthier dogs.
Our Top Picks For Your New Puppy
Are you getting ready to bring home a new puppy? Here are three of our favorite products that we recommend getting before brining home a new puppy. Check out all of our favorite and must have puppy products on our sister site: New Puppy Checklist.
- BEST PUPPY TOY
We Like: Snuggle Puppy w/ Heart Beat & Heat Pack - Perfect for new puppies. We get all of our Service Dog pups a Snuggle Puppy.
- BEST DOG CHEW
We Like: Best Bully Sticks - All of our puppies love to bite, nip, and chew. We love using Bully Sticks to help divert these unwanted behaviors.
- BEST DOG TREATS
We Like: Wellness Soft Puppy Bites - One of our favorite treats for training our service dog puppies.